The only thing better than a stuffed pepper, is one that’s wrapped in bacon. Mmmm. Heaven.
This is one of my favorite recipes, and it’s so simple that you don’t really need one. There are only four ingredients: jalapeños, cream cheese, bacon and love.
Ok, maybe bacon and love are the same thing. So, three ingredients.
And it’s easy to remember: 12-12-12.
12 pieces of bacon +
12 oz cream cheese +
12 jalapeños = YUMMY!
These peppers have a strange way of disappearing. Fast. No matter how much I make of them, they never last more than 24 hours in my house. This batch was gone just 12 hours after I made them! Glad I was able to catch the evidence before it was all eaten. I’ll admit to eating my fair share. The aroma alone fills the house and drives everyone to the brink of insanity waiting for them to get done. Really, this recipe is one of the main reasons I grow peppers.
The total cost for this recipe?
$1.34 for 1.35 lbs of peppers at .99/lb (Kroger)
$1.98 for 2 bars of cream cheese (Aldi)
$2.99 for 1 lb of premium bacon (Aldi)
$6.31 for 24 stuffed, bacon-wrapped pepper halves
What’s not to love?
A word of caution though: the oils in peppers can be quite volatile and can really burn your hands if you’re sensitive to them. For years I never had trouble, but suddenly found my skin in flames after handling them, no matter how careful I was nor how many times I washed my hands immediately after touching them. If you are sensitive to these oils, you’ll know it. Take precautions and use those disposable plastic “lunch lady” gloves for food prep.
- 12 large jalapeños
- 12 oz cream cheese (1½ of the 8 oz bars)
- 12 oz bacon (3/4 of a 1 lb package)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wearing plastic gloves to protect your hands, cut each pepper down the middle lengthwise and take out all of the seeds and innards. Dispose of these later.
- With a spoon, stuff each half pepper with cream cheese and set on a cookie sheet.
- Cut bacon in half with kitchen shears. Wrap each half piece around a half pepper.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until bacon is crispy and peppers are sligthly browned. (Enjoy the free, heavenly smells!)
- Eat and enjoy!